February 13, 2015
Rs. 1,800 crs Equity Infusion to accelerate growth
- Dilip Shanghvi Family and Associates to come in as a financial investor
o Dilip Shanghvi Family & Associates to hold 23% in Suzlon Energy Limited
o Plans equal JV to develop 450 MW windfarm
o To provide project specific non-fund based working capital facilities
- Senvion sale to Centerbridge Partners LP for ~Rs. 7,200 crs
- FCCB of $140M (~Rs. 875 crs.) converted into equity
- Q3 FY15 Consolidated Performance
o Suzlon delivers positive EBITDA for the 4th consecutive quarter
o EBITDA Margin increases to 6.0% from (2.7%) YoY, on flat revenues of Rs. 4,954 crs
o EBITDA increases to Rs. 295 crs from Rs. (137) crs YoY
Mumbai, India, 13th February 2015: Suzlon Group, worlds fifth largest* wind turbine
manufacturer today announced signing of definitive agreements with Dilip Shanghvi Family and
Associates (DSA) for equity investments of Rs. 1,800 crs in Suzlon Energy Limited. Post
allotment, DSA shareholding will be 23% shares (based on current shareholding), while the
Tanti Family will hold 24% shares. Management control remains with Tanti Family by virtue of
pooling arrangement for voting.
Commenting on his family investment in Suzlon, Mr. Dilip Shanghvi said: This financial
investment is in sync with the Prime Ministers long term vision and immense potential of the
renewable energy market. While we believe Suzlon has the potential to emerge as a global
leader in the renewable energy space from India, it will take substantial and sustained effort on
part of the management team to achieve a significant operating performance improvement.
We have strong faith in the leadership of Tulsibhai to achieve this and will continue as financial
Mr. Sudhir Valia, part of DSA, said: Despite having strong fundamentals, during last couple of
years Suzlons performance was impacted by macro headwinds and liquidity constraints. We
believe that our financial investment through equity infusion and facilitating working capital will
enable the company to tap large opportunities in the renewable energy sector. We will be
making an Open Offer as per regulatory requirement.
Mr Tulsi Tanti, Chairman Suzlon Group, said: All the strategic initiatives are extremely
crucial and will pave the way for our growth. These bold steps will strengthen our capital
structure permanently, enabling significant deleveraging and liquidity to ramp up volumes
rapidly. With our market leadership, technology strength, successful project execution and best
in class service, Suzlon is best placed to capitalize on the opportunities offered by therenewable sector.
We are convinced that the support from Dilipbhai Shanghvi and Family will
help in creating a long term sustainable value for our stakeholders.
Suzlon is poised to enter FY16 with a strong liquidity position to tap the opportunity available in
India as well as key growth markets like USA, China, Brazil, South Africa, Turkey and Mexico.
Amit Agarwal, CFO of Suzlon Energy Limited, commented: These initiatives will result in
sizeable debt reduction, savings on interest expense and will provide the necessary liquidity to
boost operations. Our efforts resulted in positive EBIT in this quarter in addition to positive
EBITDA for the 4th consecutive quarter. We continue to focus on execution of our order book.
Long term strategic initiatives to bolster business growth and ensuring sustainability:
- Rs. 1,800 crs of Preferential allotment to DSA: Suzlon to raise Rs. 1,800 crs by way of preferential allotment of 100 crs new shares to DSA. Post the allotment DSA will hold~23% shares (based on current shareholding), while the Tanti Family will hold ~24% shares.
- Wind farm Joint Venture: DSA & Suzlon to form equal Joint Venture with for wind farm development business. The joint venture will develop 450 MW wind farms within a stipulated period of time. DSA to also assist in providing incremental project specific non-fund based working capital facility to Suzlon for execution of the said project.
- Incremental Working Capital facilities: DSA to provide credit enhancement to the lenders of Suzlon for additional project specific working capital facilities. This move will help Suzlon in getting much needed working capital financing support and will be a catalyst for volume ramp up.
The above transactions are subject to closing conditions, including corporate and other
- Senvion Sale: Suzlon Group signed a binding agreement with Centerbridge Partners LP, USA to sell 100% stake in Senvion SE, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Suzlon Group. The deal is valued at EUR 1 billion (approx Rs. 7200 Crs) equity value in an all cash transaction and future earn out of upto an additional EUR 50 million (approx Rs 360crs). The transaction is subject to regulatory and other customary closing conditions. As a part of the deal, Senvion will give Suzlon license for off-shore technologies for the Indian market, while Suzlon will give Senvion the S111-2.1 MW license for the USA market. The 100% stake sale of Senvion SE is in line with Suzlons strategy to reduce the debt and focus on the home market and high growth market like USA and all emerging markets like China, Brazil, South Africa, Turkey and Mexico. The transaction is expected to be closed before the end of the current financial year.
Advisors: Inga Capital Private Limited acted as a transaction advisor to DSA. P. H.
Bathiya & Associates are legal advisors to DSA and Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A
Shroff & Co. are legal advisors to Suzlon. The transaction was facilitated by Antique
Stock Broking Limited.